On October 10th about 50 people gathered on the back porch of the Dean House to dedicate the 1890 Albany Cutter and thank Gary Hess for his two years of work restoring it.
The cutter was manufactured by the H. C. Staver Mfg. Co. in Chicago. Dick Peterson, a founding member of HBGHS, obtained the cutter from the Ethan Allen School in Wales WI and it sat on the back porch of the Dean House for many years. It was badly deteriorated when Gary Hess, a volunteer and Board member, offered to restore it.
One of the speakers at the event was Todd Frey who owns Colonial Carriage Works in Columbus WI restoring all types of carriages and sleighs. He gave Gary advice often and on throughout the two years and was very impressed with the quality of the work that Gary did.
The Dean House has a DVD of the dedication ceremony available for viewing. The cutter will be featured at the Christmas Open House on Dec. 12 when Santa will be sitting in it.