Header Image for Historic Homes and Places

 

 

CIVIC

Blooming Grove Town Hall

Fair Oaks Village Hall

Hiestand School

Lowell Elementary School

Nichols School

St. Bernard's Church

Spring Haven Pagoda

FARM HOMES & BARNS

Frank Allis Farm

Nathaniel Dean Home

Femrite Farms

George Kalbfleish Farm

George Nichols Farm

Fred Schleuter Farm

William Schultz Farm

William Witte Round Barn

HOMES

Bungalowen

Chet Clarke House

Philo Dunning House

Charles Fix House

Knute Reindahl House

Simeon Mills House

Edward Riley House

John Sachs House

Otto Schroeder House

Stang-Wirth House

Alexander Smith House

Cora Cadwallader Tuttle

Bungalow

Adolph Wagner House

Walterscheit House

COMMERCIAL BUILDINGS

Eastwood Theater

Ernie's Trading Post

Schlitz Hotel

Tonyawatha Springs Hotel

INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS

French Battery & Carbon Co.

Hoffman-Kennedy Dairy

Horse Barn

Madison-Kipp Co.

United States Sugar Co.

TRANSPORTATION

Black Bridge

Interurban Trolley

Royal Airport

Back to Index

Back to Town of Blooming Grove

Photograph of Willaim Witte Barn

WILLIAM WITTE ROUND BARN
Brandt Road North of Hwy 12 & 18

The last round barn in the area is located on Brandt Road (County Hwy AB) across the street from the Hope Lutheran Church, about a mile north of Hwy 12 & 1$. It was erected in 1901 by William Witte, and was designed by Prof. Franklin Hiram King, head of soils physics at the University of Wisconsin, who was devoted to helping farmers. It had many advantages, was more easily ventilated, and was supposed to withstand the winds and weather better. The barn has since been covered with corrugated metal, but still stands although giving way slowly, and like others of its kind in Wisconsin, its days seem to be numbered. After William's death in 1942, the youngest of four sons took over the buildings and acreage. He owned it for 12 years making it a "Century Farm." In 1962 the entire farm was sold to the City of Madison, which later included it in the development of the Yahara Hills Golf Course. The Interstate bisected the land in 1960-61 and all buildings were razed.

Historic Blooming Grove Historical Society