Header Image for Historic Homes and Places




Blooming Grove Town Hall

Fair Oaks Village Hall

Hiestand School

Lowell Elementary School

Nichols School

St. Bernard's Church

Spring Haven Pagoda


Frank Allis Farm

Nathaniel Dean Home

Femrite Farms

George Kalbfleish Farm

George Nichols Farm

Fred Schleuter Farm

William Schultz Farm

William Witte Round Barn



Chet Clarke House

Philo Dunning House

Charles Fix House

Knute Reindahl House

Simeon Mills House

Edward Riley House

John Sachs House

Otto Schroeder House

Stang-Wirth House

Alexander Smith House

Cora Cadwallader Tuttle


Adolph Wagner House

Walterscheit House


Eastwood Theater

Ernie's Trading Post

Schlitz Hotel

Tonyawatha Springs Hotel


French Battery & Carbon Co.

Hoffman-Kennedy Dairy

Horse Barn

Madison-Kipp Co.

United States Sugar Co.


Black Bridge

Interurban Trolley

Royal Airport

Back to Index

Back to Town of Blooming Grove

3722 Atwood Avenue

In 1885 John Walterscheit purchased 120 acres in Blooming Grove with the money saved from John's Civil War savings. The area was dense woods at the time of purchase and had to be cleared. Mostly oak, the yield was 35 cords to an acre. Frederick J. was the last in the family to work the homestead and in 1927 sold the final amount of land left. John was treasurer of the Nichols school district and Fred was the treasurer of the township of Blooming Grove from 1916-18. As a young man, Fred worked at ice harvesting on Lake Monona. Fred says that the sawdust gotten for the ice house was purchased from William Gallager. The ice house was located on the west side of Atwood Avenue, with a rail spur connecting it to the rail line. Ice was cut and stored and then shipped to Chicago and Milwaukee for commercial and private use. The home stood on the grounds as late as 1972. A popular drive-in restaurant was also located at this site. In 1995 the restaurant and its surrounding land was developed into the present apartment complex.

Historic Blooming Grove Historical Society