Header Image for Historic Homes and Places

 

 

CIVIC

Blooming Grove Town Hall

Fair Oaks Village Hall

Hiestand School

Lowell Elementary School

Nichols School

St. Bernard's Church

Spring Haven Pagoda

FARM HOMES & BARNS

Frank Allis Farm

Nathaniel Dean Home

Femrite Farms

George Kalbfleish Farm

George Nichols Farm

Fred Schleuter Farm

William Schultz Farm

William Witte Round Barn

HOMES

Bungalowen

Chet Clarke House

Philo Dunning House

Charles Fix House

Knute Reindahl House

Simeon Mills House

Edward Riley House

John Sachs House

Otto Schroeder House

Stang-Wirth House

Alexander Smith House

Cora Cadwallader Tuttle

Bungalow

Adolph Wagner House

Walterscheit House

COMMERCIAL BUILDINGS

Eastwood Theater

Ernie's Trading Post

Schlitz Hotel

Tonyawatha Springs Hotel

INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS

French Battery & Carbon Co.

Hoffman-Kennedy Dairy

Horse Barn

Madison-Kipp Co.

United States Sugar Co.

TRANSPORTATION

Black Bridge

Interurban Trolley

Royal Airport

Back to Index

Back to Town of Blooming Grove

Photograph of Interurban Trolley

INTERURBAN TROLLEY

Little evidence remains, but Monona was once connected to Madison by an interurban trolley. Popular in the first two decades of the 20th century, many lines were proposed and mapped out for the interurban lines. During this same period the Madison Interurban and Traction Company attempted to promote an interurban service around Lake Monona for owners of summer homes and cottages. Advertisements compared the intended routes to that of the Michigan Traction Company, which serviced Chicago's North Shore residents. In 1912 $40,000 was received from Monona property owners who subscribed to the installation of the line. By 1913, tracks were laid on the side of the narrow dirt road, which is now Monona Drive, from Fair Oaks and Atwood Avenue, and extended approximately as far as Spring Haven, presently Winnequah Road. The interurban trolley was in use for only about one year. During WWI, funds to continue the system were diverted and its maintenance was neglected. The trolley cars lay on a section of unused tracks until approximately 1924.

Historic Blooming Grove Historical Society