Header Image for Historic Homes and Places

 

 

CIVIC

Blooming Grove Town Hall

Fair Oaks Village Hall

Hiestand School

Lowell Elementary School

Nichols School

St. Bernard's Church

Spring Haven Pagoda

FARM HOMES & BARNS

Frank Allis Farm

Nathaniel Dean Home

Femrite Farms

George Kalbfleish Farm

George Nichols Farm

Fred Schleuter Farm

William Schultz Farm

William Witte Round Barn

HOMES

Bungalowen

Chet Clarke House

Philo Dunning House

Charles Fix House

Knute Reindahl House

Simeon Mills House

Edward Riley House

John Sachs House

Otto Schroeder House

Stang-Wirth House

Alexander Smith House

Cora Cadwallader Tuttle

Bungalow

Adolph Wagner House

Walterscheit House

COMMERCIAL BUILDINGS

Eastwood Theater

Ernie's Trading Post

Schlitz Hotel

Tonyawatha Springs Hotel

INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS

French Battery & Carbon Co.

Hoffman-Kennedy Dairy

Horse Barn

Madison-Kipp Co.

United States Sugar Co.

TRANSPORTATION

Black Bridge

Interurban Trolley

Royal Airport

Back to Index

Back to Town of Blooming Grove

Photograph of St. Bernard's Church

ST. BERNARD'S CHURCH
2450 Atwood Avenue

St. Bernard's congregation was established in 1907. Services were first held in Father Fisher's house on Milwaukee St. and then at the Fair Oaks village hall. The first combination church and school building, a simple boxy structure, was erected in 1908-09. The current edifice, designed by noted local architect, John J. Flad, was erected in 1927. When the new church was built, it was the largest Catholic church in the city. It is significant architecturally as an imposing example of the Gothic revival style, constructed of Madison's beautiful golden-colored sandstone. The front facade of the church is dominated by a large square tower that is a visual landmark in the neighborhood. Most of the windows are the original stained and painted glass designed by the German artist, Kurt Drewes. The addition of windows of an abstract design as well as interior changes were carried out in 1968. The social and religious functions of St. Bernard's have been a significant part of the lives of many east side families.

Historic Blooming Grove Historical Society