Header Image for Historic Homes and Places

 

 

CIVIC

Blooming Grove Town Hall

Fair Oaks Village Hall

Hiestand School

Lowell Elementary School

Nichols School

St. Bernard's Church

Spring Haven Pagoda

FARM HOMES & BARNS

Frank Allis Farm

Nathaniel Dean Home

Femrite Farms

George Kalbfleish Farm

George Nichols Farm

Fred Schleuter Farm

William Schultz Farm

William Witte Round Barn

HOMES

Bungalowen

Chet Clarke House

Philo Dunning House

Charles Fix House

Knute Reindahl House

Simeon Mills House

Edward Riley House

John Sachs House

Otto Schroeder House

Stang-Wirth House

Alexander Smith House

Cora Cadwallader Tuttle

Bungalow

Adolph Wagner House

Walterscheit House

COMMERCIAL BUILDINGS

Eastwood Theater

Ernie's Trading Post

Schlitz Hotel

Tonyawatha Springs Hotel

INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS

French Battery & Carbon Co.

Hoffman-Kennedy Dairy

Horse Barn

Madison-Kipp Co.

United States Sugar Co.

TRANSPORTATION

Black Bridge

Interurban Trolley

Royal Airport

Back to Index

Back to Town of Blooming Grove

Photograph of Smith house

ALEXANDER SMITH HOME
5301 Milwaukee Street

Built of sand limestone and cap limestone from a nearby quarry, this home is an example of early Greek Revival architecture. The building, constructed in 1848, was originally a farmhouse although it did serve as a way station for persons traveling between Milwaukee and Prairie du Chien. The stonework was done by Cornish craftsmen migrating from the lead region near Mineral Point. The availability of stratified quarry stone for intermediate wall construction coupled with that of larger cap stone for corner quions and chimney exteriors, as well as dressed stone for lintels and sills made for the most distinctive indigenous architecture to be found in the area.

Historic Blooming Grove Historical Society