Header Image for Historic Homes and Places

 

 

CIVIC

Blooming Grove Town Hall

Fair Oaks Village Hall

Hiestand School

Lowell Elementary School

Nichols School

St. Bernard's Church

Spring Haven Pagoda

FARM HOMES & BARNS

Frank Allis Farm

Nathaniel Dean Home

Femrite Farms

George Kalbfleish Farm

George Nichols Farm

Fred Schleuter Farm

William Schultz Farm

William Witte Round Barn

HOMES

Bungalowen

Chet Clarke House

Philo Dunning House

Charles Fix House

Knute Reindahl House

Simeon Mills House

Edward Riley House

John Sachs House

Otto Schroeder House

Stang-Wirth House

Alexander Smith House

Cora Cadwallader Tuttle

Bungalow

Adolph Wagner House

Walterscheit House

COMMERCIAL BUILDINGS

Eastwood Theater

Ernie's Trading Post

Schlitz Hotel

Tonyawatha Springs Hotel

INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS

French Battery & Carbon Co.

Hoffman-Kennedy Dairy

Horse Barn

Madison-Kipp Co.

United States Sugar Co.

TRANSPORTATION

Black Bridge

Interurban Trolley

Royal Airport

Back to Index

Back to Town of Blooming Grove

Photograph of Schlitz Hotel

THE SCHLITZ HOTEL
2922-2926 Atwood Avenue

This building was constructed in 1904 as the Schlitz Hotel. From 1916 to 1925, Thomas Bewick ran it as the Fair Oaks Hotel. A livery was connected to the hotel where people parked their horses and cutters when they went to church at nearby St. Bernard's. The hotel also featured a billiard hall and ice cream parlor that became popular meeting places for local residents. Later the building served briefly as a hardware store and a Krogers grocery. In 1930 it became Weinschel's department store, a well-known local landmark operated by Adolph and Janet Weinschel until 1968. In 1973 the building was converted into an electrical appliance store.

Historic Blooming Grove Historical Society