Header Image for Historic Homes and Places

 

 

CIVIC

Blooming Grove Town Hall

Fair Oaks Village Hall

Hiestand School

Lowell Elementary School

Nichols School

St. Bernard's Church

Spring Haven Pagoda

FARM HOMES & BARNS

Frank Allis Farm

Nathaniel Dean Home

Femrite Farms

George Kalbfleish Farm

George Nichols Farm

Fred Schleuter Farm

William Schultz Farm

William Witte Round Barn

HOMES

Bungalowen

Chet Clarke House

Philo Dunning House

Charles Fix House

Knute Reindahl House

Simeon Mills House

Edward Riley House

John Sachs House

Otto Schroeder House

Stang-Wirth House

Alexander Smith House

Cora Cadwallader Tuttle

Bungalow

Adolph Wagner House

Walterscheit House

COMMERCIAL BUILDINGS

Eastwood Theater

Ernie's Trading Post

Schlitz Hotel

Tonyawatha Springs Hotel

INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS

French Battery & Carbon Co.

Hoffman-Kennedy Dairy

Horse Barn

Madison-Kipp Co.

United States Sugar Co.

TRANSPORTATION

Black Bridge

Interurban Trolley

Royal Airport

Back to Index

Back to Town of Blooming Grove

Photograph of John and Catherine Sachs house

JOHN AND CATHERINE SACHS HOUSE
2838 Milwaukee Street

Built in the late 1860's by John and Catherine, this house was constructed of red bricks from a neighboring brick yard. The Sachses were productive market gardeners, farming nine acres of land. In 1870, they had one horse, a cow, three sheep and three swine and raised 300 pounds of hops. They sold $1,000 in produce annually. After her husband's death around 1883, Catherine Sachs continued gardening, and delivered produce to Madison in a horse-drawn cart. She raised six children and sponsored the emigration of many family members from Bavaria. This house and three others represent Madison's only remaining examples of the dozen or so market gardener's houses that existed in the late 19th century on Madison's fringes.

Historic Blooming Grove Historical Society