Header Image for Historic Homes and Places




Blooming Grove Town Hall

Fair Oaks Village Hall

Hiestand School

Lowell Elementary School

Nichols School

St. Bernard's Church

Spring Haven Pagoda


Frank Allis Farm

Nathaniel Dean Home

Femrite Farms

George Kalbfleish Farm

George Nichols Farm

Fred Schleuter Farm

William Schultz Farm

William Witte Round Barn



Chet Clarke House

Philo Dunning House

Charles Fix House

Knute Reindahl House

Simeon Mills House

Edward Riley House

John Sachs House

Otto Schroeder House

Stang-Wirth House

Alexander Smith House

Cora Cadwallader Tuttle


Adolph Wagner House

Walterscheit House


Eastwood Theater

Ernie's Trading Post

Schlitz Hotel

Tonyawatha Springs Hotel


French Battery & Carbon Co.

Hoffman-Kennedy Dairy

Horse Barn

Madison-Kipp Co.

United States Sugar Co.


Black Bridge

Interurban Trolley

Royal Airport

Back to Index

Back to Town of Blooming Grove

Photograph of George Nichols House

6204 Ridgewood Avenue

Built in 1878, the George Nichols house is a good example of a Wisconsin farm house of this time. The house was located on 163 acres that Mr. Nichols purchased when he retired from farming at the age of 74. He moved to Dane County from Michigan in October of 1842. He became a successful produce and crop farmer in the area, having first owned a farm in the Town of Burke. In 1851 he bought a farm and lived in the house located at what is now 408 W. Dean Ave. The home on Ridgewood was his retirement house.

Like many homes of the era, it has two living rooms. Two stairways lead to the three bedrooms upstairs. Five unusual round windows admit light to these upper rooms and hallways. George Nichols is honored in the naming of Nichols School and Nichols Road built on parcels of his original farm.

Historic Blooming Grove Historical Society