Header Image for Historic Homes and Places

 

 

CIVIC

Blooming Grove Town Hall

Fair Oaks Village Hall

Hiestand School

Lowell Elementary School

Nichols School

St. Bernard's Church

Spring Haven Pagoda

FARM HOMES & BARNS

Frank Allis Farm

Nathaniel Dean Home

Femrite Farms

George Kalbfleish Farm

George Nichols Farm

Fred Schleuter Farm

William Schultz Farm

William Witte Round Barn

HOMES

Bungalowen

Chet Clarke House

Philo Dunning House

Charles Fix House

Knute Reindahl House

Simeon Mills House

Edward Riley House

John Sachs House

Otto Schroeder House

Stang-Wirth House

Alexander Smith House

Cora Cadwallader Tuttle

Bungalow

Adolph Wagner House

Walterscheit House

COMMERCIAL BUILDINGS

Eastwood Theater

Ernie's Trading Post

Schlitz Hotel

Tonyawatha Springs Hotel

INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS

French Battery & Carbon Co.

Hoffman-Kennedy Dairy

Horse Barn

Madison-Kipp Co.

United States Sugar Co.

TRANSPORTATION

Black Bridge

Interurban Trolley

Royal Airport

Back to Index

Back to Town of Blooming Grove

Photograph of Simeon Mills house

"MILL'S FOLLY" - THE SIMEON MILLS HOUSE
2709 Sommers Avenue

In 1837, when Simeon Mills came to Madison, the only building in town was the Peck's log cabin. Mills built a combination store and post office of logs, thus beginning a long a varied career as a businessman and civic activist. Mills helped establish the first newspaper in Madison, was the first Justice of the Peace, was instrumental in the funding of the University of Wisconsin, was the last treasurer of the Wisconsin Territory, was Dane County's first State Senator, and served as president of an insurance company, a railroad and a bank. His frame house was located at West Main St. and Monona Ave., but in 1863 he erected this gracious sandstone mansion on his 200 acre farm known as "Elmside." Legend has it that Marie Mills disliked the new house. So, after four years, Simeon built a larger and even more elegant house downtown (on the site now occupied by the City-County Building). He sold his farmhouse to industrialist John W. Hudson, who later developed Hudson Park. In 1890 the Miller family from Philadelphia moved in. Their son, Samuel, was a nationally-known theater and opera promoter. Miller and local realtor James Corry later subdivided the farm as the Elmside plat. But the "Old Mills Place" remains, a proud reminder of Madison's early pioneers.

Historic Blooming Grove Historical Society