Header Image for Historic Homes and Places

<

 

 

CIVIC

Blooming Grove Town Hall

Fair Oaks Village Hall

Hiestand School

Lowell Elementary School

Nichols School

St. Bernard's Church

Spring Haven Pagoda

FARM HOMES & BARNS

Frank Allis Farm

Nathaniel Dean Home

Femrite Farms

George Kalbfleish Farm

George Nichols Farm

Fred Schleuter Farm

William Schultz Farm

William Witte Round Barn

HOMES

Bungalowen

Chet Clarke House

Philo Dunning House

Charles Fix House

Knute Reindahl House

Simeon Mills House

Edward Riley House

John Sachs House

Otto Schroeder House

Stang-Wirth House

Alexander Smith House

Cora Cadwallader Tuttle

Bungalow

Adolph Wagner House

Walterscheit House

COMMERCIAL BUILDINGS

Eastwood Theater

Ernie's Trading Post

Schlitz Hotel

Tonyawatha Springs Hotel

INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS

French Battery & Carbon Co.

Hoffman-Kennedy Dairy

Horse Barn

Madison-Kipp Co.

United States Sugar Co.

TRANSPORTATION

Black Bridge

Interurban Trolley

Royal Airport

Back to Index

Back to Town of Blooming Grove

Photograph of Lowell School

LOWELL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
401 Maple Avenue

Built in 1916 on the site of former circus grounds, this school originally had eight classrooms as well as domestic science and manual arts rooms and a gymnasium/auditorium. Known at first as the New Irving School, its name was changed to James Russell Lowell School at the request of area residents. In 1926 the school was expanded to meet ever increasing enrollment. The two new wings added 11 classrooms and several special purpose rooms. During the 1930's the school featured a nutrition room, a tuberculosis solarium, a full-time nurse and dental clinic. Lowell School was Madison's first school to have a PTA and also the first to participate in the federal hot lunch program.

Historic Blooming Grove Historical Society