Header Image for Historic Homes and Places




Blooming Grove Town Hall

Fair Oaks Village Hall

Hiestand School

Lowell Elementary School

Nichols School

St. Bernard's Church

Spring Haven Pagoda


Frank Allis Farm

Nathaniel Dean Home

Femrite Farms

George Kalbfleish Farm

George Nichols Farm

Fred Schleuter Farm

William Schultz Farm

William Witte Round Barn



Chet Clarke House

Philo Dunning House

Charles Fix House

Knute Reindahl House

Simeon Mills House

Edward Riley House

John Sachs House

Otto Schroeder House

Stang-Wirth House

Alexander Smith House

Cora Cadwallader Tuttle


Adolph Wagner House

Walterscheit House


Eastwood Theater

Ernie's Trading Post

Schlitz Hotel

Tonyawatha Springs Hotel


French Battery & Carbon Co.

Hoffman-Kennedy Dairy

Horse Barn

Madison-Kipp Co.

United States Sugar Co.


Black Bridge

Interurban Trolley

Royal Airport

Back to Index

Back to Town of Blooming Grove

Photograph of George Kalbfleish House

706 West Dean Avenue

The stucco and shingle-sided home was the farmhouse of George Kalbfleish, Jr., a first generation American. His father George, Sr., emigrated from German and came to Dane County in 1855, settling on a forty-acre homestead which extended from the present intersection of Winnequah and Schluter Roads to Lake Monona. Around 1903 George, Jr., constructed his home on another forty-acre parcel. The original frame structure consisted of seven rooms and an attractive porch across the front half of the home. In 1918 Joseph Fix purchased the property and continued to work the land as a truck farmer. Later additions to the farm operations included facilities for raising mink and a poultry house. Mr. Fix sold the property in 1950 and much of the land was subdivided as residential lots. The front porch has been removed and a family room now occupies the place of the old back porch.

Historic Blooming Grove Historical Society