Header Image for Historic Homes and Places

 

 

CIVIC

Blooming Grove Town Hall

Fair Oaks Village Hall

Hiestand School

Lowell Elementary School

Nichols School

St. Bernard's Church

Spring Haven Pagoda

FARM HOMES & BARNS

Frank Allis Farm

Nathaniel Dean Home

Femrite Farms

George Kalbfleish Farm

George Nichols Farm

Fred Schleuter Farm

William Schultz Farm

William Witte Round Barn

HOMES

Bungalowen

Chet Clarke House

Philo Dunning House

Charles Fix House

Knute Reindahl House

Simeon Mills House

Edward Riley House

John Sachs House

Otto Schroeder House

Stang-Wirth House

Alexander Smith House

Cora Cadwallader Tuttle

Bungalow

Adolph Wagner House

Walterscheit House

COMMERCIAL BUILDINGS

Eastwood Theater

Ernie's Trading Post

Schlitz Hotel

Tonyawatha Springs Hotel

INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS

French Battery & Carbon Co.

Hoffman-Kennedy Dairy

Horse Barn

Madison-Kipp Co.

United States Sugar Co.

TRANSPORTATION

Black Bridge

Interurban Trolley

Royal Airport

Back to Index

Back to Town of Blooming Grove

Photograph of Hiestand School

HIESTAND SCHOOL - DISTRICT N0. 1
Milwaukee Street

In about 1855 the original frame school house was built with in the present school yard. A wood shed was attached in back. A high board fence north of the wood shed divided the playground and out houses, for girls to the west and boys to the east. To the front was the socalled entry, a place for dinner buckets, caps, coats and overshoes. Inside was the typical one-room school, heated by a round oak wood stove. There was no basement. Hence, cold winter floors produced an "epidemic" of chilblains, and it was not unusual for the one and only dipper to freeze in the water pail. Early day teacher wages were as low as $25. a month. In keeping with the need for improved educational and social facilities, citizens of the district voted to replace the 60-year-old school building with a modern structure. The present building was built in 1915 with central heat, running water from a well and sanitation facilities. In addition to enabling a far better offering in rural elementary education, this 1915 building also made way for the development of a social center that served for decades to provide adult education programs, high quality entertainment and good cultural influence.

Historic Blooming Grove Historical Society