Header Image for Historic Homes and Places

 

 

CIVIC

Blooming Grove Town Hall

Fair Oaks Village Hall

Hiestand School

Lowell Elementary School

Nichols School

St. Bernard's Church

Spring Haven Pagoda

FARM HOMES & BARNS

Frank Allis Farm

Nathaniel Dean Home

Femrite Farms

George Kalbfleish Farm

George Nichols Farm

Fred Schleuter Farm

William Schultz Farm

William Witte Round Barn

HOMES

Bungalowen

Chet Clarke House

Philo Dunning House

Charles Fix House

Knute Reindahl House

Simeon Mills House

Edward Riley House

John Sachs House

Otto Schroeder House

Stang-Wirth House

Alexander Smith House

Cora Cadwallader Tuttle

Bungalow

Adolph Wagner House

Walterscheit House

COMMERCIAL BUILDINGS

Eastwood Theater

Ernie's Trading Post

Schlitz Hotel

Tonyawatha Springs Hotel

INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS

French Battery & Carbon Co.

Hoffman-Kennedy Dairy

Horse Barn

Madison-Kipp Co.

United States Sugar Co.

TRANSPORTATION

Black Bridge

Interurban Trolley

Royal Airport

Back to Index

Back to Town of Blooming Grove

Photograph of French Battery and Carbon Company

FRENCH BATTERY AND CARBON COMPANY
2317 Winnebago Street

The French Battery Company was founded in 1906. Named in honor of the Frenchman who developed its first battery, the firm operated briefly in Chicago before moving to Madison. With the technical advice and direction of Prof. C. F. Burgess of the University of Wisconsin's Chemical Engineering department, the company produced all types of batteries, including telephone, ignition, flashlight and radio batteries. The company built this one-story plant in 1916 and added two floors in the same style in 1920. In 1917 Prof. Burgess started his own competing battery company, which has evolved into todays Research Products Corporation. In the mid 1930's the French Battery Co. changed its name to "Ray-O-Vac," after the trade name of its batteries. The company was proud of its leadership in the field of employee benefits. In 1925 it started a comprehensive employee insurance program, and in 1941 it introduced a pension plan. It encouraged it supervisors to engage in civic activities and sponsored many social and athletic events, including a ukulele club. During WWII Ray-O-Vac employed over 4,000 people around the world. Today its home offices are still located in Madison and firm employs about 800 people here.

Historic Blooming Grove Historical Society