Header Image for Historic Homes and Places

 

 

CIVIC

Blooming Grove Town Hall

Fair Oaks Village Hall

Hiestand School

Lowell Elementary School

Nichols School

St. Bernard's Church

Spring Haven Pagoda

FARM HOMES & BARNS

Frank Allis Farm

Nathaniel Dean Home

Femrite Farms

George Kalbfleish Farm

George Nichols Farm

Fred Schleuter Farm

William Schultz Farm

William Witte Round Barn

HOMES

Bungalowen

Chet Clarke House

Philo Dunning House

Charles Fix House

Knute Reindahl House

Simeon Mills House

Edward Riley House

John Sachs House

Otto Schroeder House

Stang-Wirth House

Alexander Smith House

Cora Cadwallader Tuttle

Bungalow

Adolph Wagner House

Walterscheit House

COMMERCIAL BUILDINGS

Eastwood Theater

Ernie's Trading Post

Schlitz Hotel

Tonyawatha Springs Hotel

INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS

French Battery & Carbon Co.

Hoffman-Kennedy Dairy

Horse Barn

Madison-Kipp Co.

United States Sugar Co.

TRANSPORTATION

Black Bridge

Interurban Trolley

Royal Airport

Back to Index

Back to Town of Blooming Grove

Photograph of Ernie's Trading Post

ERNIE'S TRADING POST
4500 Winnequah Road

The existence of Monona as a separate village originated in a little commercial building located on Winnequah Road. It was in the back room of that grocery store that talks began and plans developed to incorporate Monona as a village, seceding from Blooming Grove Township. Notice of meetings and elections and maps were posted for concerned citizens to study before voting in 1937. Built in 1925, originally intended as a garage, its first use was as a "speakeasy" during the prohibition era. Ernie Ferchland purchased the land and building in 1932. Run as a full-time grocery store by Mr. and Mrs. Ferchland until 1952, it was then sold to Canteen Services for offices and storage. It is now converted to an auto repair service garage, finally putting it to the use for which it was originally intended.

Historic Blooming Grove Historical Society