Header Image for Historic Homes and Places

 

 

CIVIC

Blooming Grove Town Hall

Fair Oaks Village Hall

Hiestand School

Lowell Elementary School

Nichols School

St. Bernard's Church

Spring Haven Pagoda

FARM HOMES & BARNS

Frank Allis Farm

Nathaniel Dean Home

Femrite Farms

George Kalbfleish Farm

George Nichols Farm

Fred Schleuter Farm

William Schultz Farm

William Witte Round Barn

HOMES

Bungalowen

Chet Clarke House

Philo Dunning House

Charles Fix House

Knute Reindahl House

Simeon Mills House

Edward Riley House

John Sachs House

Otto Schroeder House

Stang-Wirth House

Alexander Smith House

Cora Cadwallader Tuttle

Bungalow

Adolph Wagner House

Walterscheit House

COMMERCIAL BUILDINGS

Eastwood Theater

Ernie's Trading Post

Schlitz Hotel

Tonyawatha Springs Hotel

INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS

French Battery & Carbon Co.

Hoffman-Kennedy Dairy

Horse Barn

Madison-Kipp Co.

United States Sugar Co.

TRANSPORTATION

Black Bridge

Interurban Trolley

Royal Airport

Back to Index

Back to Town of Blooming Grove

Photograph of the Philo and Sophia dunning house

PHILO AND SOPHIA DUNNING HOUSE
2212-2216 St. Paul Avenue

The original (right-hand) section of this structure was built by Philo and Sophia Dunning around 1849. It was built in the Greek Revival style and may be one of the oldest extant houses in Madison. The building has since been added onto several times. After farming and operating a saw mill, Dunning established himself as a druggist and grocer in 1855. He also served as Treasurer of Dane County and State Representative for the Madison district. He and his family lived here for 20 years, but moved into downtown Madison when the railroad built its tracks across their front yard.

Historic Blooming Grove Historical Society