Header Image for Historic Homes and Places

 

 

CIVIC

Blooming Grove Town Hall

Fair Oaks Village Hall

Hiestand School

Lowell Elementary School

Nichols School

St. Bernard's Church

Spring Haven Pagoda

FARM HOMES & BARNS

Frank Allis Farm

Nathaniel Dean Home

Femrite Farms

George Kalbfleish Farm

George Nichols Farm

Fred Schleuter Farm

William Schultz Farm

William Witte Round Barn

HOMES

Bungalowen

Chet Clarke House

Philo Dunning House

Charles Fix House

Knute Reindahl House

Simeon Mills House

Edward Riley House

John Sachs House

Otto Schroeder House

Stang-Wirth House

Alexander Smith House

Cora Cadwallader Tuttle

Bungalow

Adolph Wagner House

Walterscheit House

COMMERCIAL BUILDINGS

Eastwood Theater

Ernie's Trading Post

Schlitz Hotel

Tonyawatha Springs Hotel

INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS

French Battery & Carbon Co.

Hoffman-Kennedy Dairy

Horse Barn

Madison-Kipp Co.

United States Sugar Co.

TRANSPORTATION

Black Bridge

Interurban Trolley

Royal Airport

Back to Index

Back to Town of Blooming Grove

Photograph of Bungalowen

BUNGALOWEN
5805-7 Winnequah Rd.

A honeymoon rowing trip from Madison down the Yahara River in August, 1906, for newlyweds Ray and Theo Pickford Owen brought them to camp on the southeast shore of Lake Monona. Five years later Owen, a young engineering professor at the University, and his wife gathered field stones from nearby land along Squaw Bay, to construct the fireplace for their summer cottage. The summer cottage was a simple one-story wood shingled structure typical of Bungalow style. It had a living room with fieldstone fireplace surrounded on two sided by a screened porch and a lean-to kitchen. Canvas awning rolled down to protect the summer inhabitants from storms. Boats were the primary means of transportation then, and a long pier ran from the open water through the marshy area to the oakwooded slope where the cottage stood. In 1932 P. Theron Woolsen, an architect from Winnetka, III., and a friend of the Owens, designed another "addition." This time a complete winterized house was added, connected to the cottage by a sewing room and main entrance hall. The new structure consisted of a living room, dining alcove, kitchen, master bedroom and bath.

Historic Blooming Grove Historical Society