Blooming Grove Township
|Known as Town 7 North, Range 10
East, Blooming Grove Township was organized in 1850, separating it from the town of
Madison, organized earlier. In 1880, James Kavanaugh wrote of the area that:
Abraham Wood, arriving in Monona in 1837, is recorded as the first immigrant to settle among the Indians. He was hired to build a house for Eben Peck, the first dwelling of its kind in Madison. Some of the wood used in Peck's house was cut in Blooming Grove and hauled across the ice of Lake Monona on a bobsled pulled by a team of oxen.
By 1870, summer cottages began making their appearance along the lake shore in the midst of the township's thriving farm lands, including those of Nathaniel Dean. In 1879, William Jacobs, operator of Madison's Park Hotel, constructed a resort hotel along the shore of Lake Monona accommodating 100 guests and boasting such conveniences as baths and telephones. For sixteen years, until it was destroyed by fire in 1895, the Tonyawatha Springs hotel was visited by vacationers by means of steamboat excursions across the lake.
After years of steady growth in properties along the lake front, on August 28, 1938, the village of Monona was incorporated with over 1000 residents. By 1960, Monona was the fastest growing community in Wisconsin, with a population of more than 8000. In 1969, it incorporated as a city with more than 10,000 residents.
Today, much of the landscape of eastern Blooming Grove has been claimed and urbanized by the cities of Madison and Monona